Your home’s ductwork is a critical component of your heating and air conditioning system. You can think of it like a complex maze of tubes and vents that provide adequate cooling and heating power to your entire home. A home’s ductwork is usually mapped out very carefully before it is installed. It also has unique thermal reflecting walls, so that the heating and cooling power is not lost through the thick silver skin. One of the biggest reasons why it is important to clean the air ducts in your home is because it is a delicate system that needs constant care. Here are five reasons to clean the air ducts in your home.
- It will make your air smell fresh and clean. Overtime, a lot can start to build up and get trapped in your ductwork. For instance, small animals and rodents can get trapped and perish. You also have mold spores and dust that start to build up on the floor of your ductwork. All of these things can cause a strange odor to emanate throughout your home. After a good duct cleaning, however, these smells will be gone.
- It will reduce allergy symptoms and asthma flare ups. If you are sensitive to allergens or if you have asthma, getting your ducts cleaned is vital. With all the dust and dander that builds up in your HVAC system, you will be sniffling and sneezing all summer long. If you have chronic respiratory issues, this can present a serious – potentially life threatening – risk. Things like dust, dander, pollen, mold spores and more can literally pour out of your ductwork if you don’t hire a service to properly clean it out.
- It will improve the quality of air inside your home. When you have these pollutants building up inside your HVAC system, they can literally get blown throughout your entire home if you don’t clean out the ductwork. This can seriously affect the quality of air inside your home. Even if you don’t have respiratory issues, this can be a serious problem. Even the healthiest person can be affected by some of the particulates and pollutants that are emitted by a dirty ductwork system.
- It will reduce your monthly energy bills. If you have dirt, dust and dander building up inside your ductwork, you will be dealing with higher energy bills. This is because dirty ductwork can affect the efficiency of your entire unit – by almost 30%. When your ductwork is dirty, it causes the air to flow more slowly – rooms take longer to heat up and cool. So, for the sake of saving energy and money, it is best to bite the bullet and have your ductwork cleaned.
- It is better for the overall environment. Millions upon millions of tons of carbon emissions are released as a result of inefficient air conditioners. In fact, one of the key players on the list of global warming causing factors are faulty and unmaintained air conditioners. In the end, if you want to reduce your carbon footprint, getting your ductwork cleaned is vital.